Friday 6 February 2015

Why I coupon

There's a feeling you get when you managed to "score" a great deal.  It's like a rush of adrenaline...you against the register...that feeling of victory when it all goes as planned.  Now I am not one of those "extreme" couponers like you see on tv.  There's a number of reasons that I'm not, yet I truly believe that to each their own.  Here are my reasons for not extreme couponing in case you are curious:
1.  I don't have the time.  I probably spend an hour or two a week sorting through the flyer and seeing if I have access to coupons to match up with them.  I don't actively seek out additional coupons (trading, jumping in the recycling bin, etc) but that's just my choice.  My extra time is spent with my two kids and two dogs instead.
2. I don't have the room.  I have a lovely storage area set up in my basement.  There's shelving units and baskets and everything is organized and sorted.  This is so I can find it easily and I use it before it expires.  My general rule is that I try to make sure I will use it within six months.  Anything more than that and there is a strong possibility it will expire and will be wasted.
3.  I don't need it.  I know that I can track down coupons and get 40 tubes of Polident for free.....but I don't know ANYONE who could use it!  When you first start out couponing, the lure of "free" things is very strong and it is hard to resist not getting everything possible.  It's taken me couponing for a few years to settle into what I do now and what works best for my family.  That being said, if I come across a deal or freebie that I DO know someone will use (either someone I know or a local shelter) I will still pick it up.
I know I don't save as much money as a lot of other people out there and I am okay with that.  I track my savings out of curiosity and I can tell you that on average, I save between $4,000.00 - $5,000.00 every year.  I am also teaching my children how to shop smart and stretch their pennies without going into too much debt or living on ramen noodles!  I know that what I do improves the financial stability of my family as well as helps out additional family and friends.  Every year I donate at least once per year to the local women's center, the local SPCA, the Food Bank, and the local Community Christmas Care.
To be honest, one thing that is even better than that feeling of rush when you score a great deal, is the smiles and hugs you get in appreciation for helping others out.  Share the knowledge and the freebies, I promise you will feel amazing doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment