Friday 30 May 2014

Coupons? There's an App for that!

Nowadays, technology runs our world and being separated from our cell phones brings that momentary sense of panic.  Our the years we have seen house phones move to cell phones, vacuum cleaners move to "Roombas", and yes....clipped coupons move to smart phone coupon applications.

Although coupons can still be found in the regular tear pads, magazines, and online places......there has been a new movement of online coupons.  These programs reward you will cyber discounts that accumulate in your account until you reach $20 or more and then reimburse you by cheque.  Instead of having your discount right at the till, you participate in a type of "forced savings" and receive a payout once you have accumulated the minimum requirements.  The cheque will arrive approximately two weeks after requesting.  This is a great idea if you want to save for something special or extra like a vacation.

There are a variety of programs that you can download for free onto your smartphone.  Right now I currently have four programs on my Iphone.  They are:  Checkout 51, SnapSaves, Zweet, and Cart Smart.  I have used the first three quite regularly but am still on the fence with CartSmart as I have not really found the featured items relevant to my family.

How it Works: 

Each week a new list of featured items and the coupon amount will be published.  Once you have purchased the featured item in the correct time frame, you simply take a photo of your entire receipt and "tag" the featured items you want to claim.  Within 48hrs you will receive a confirmation email whether or not your receipt has been approved and the money added to your account.  Some items will have a limited amount available, so I suggest you submit your receipts as quickly as possible after purchasing.  One of the features that I really like about these apps is that you regularly see fruits and vegetables featured.  As regular coupons are rare for these types of items, it's nice to be reimbursed for eating healthy.  Another bonus is that you can use a coupon (tearpad, magazine, etc) while purchasing the items in store and still claim your smart phone online coupon afterwards....essentially "double couponing".  This can result in free or even credits (money paid to you!) on certain items.

Noting my weekly featured items, I went to my local grocery store yesterday for a few items.  I won't list everything I purchased, but here is an example of how the online apps work and what the end result can be.

Radishes - $0.69/bunch = $0.69 - $0.25 SnapSaves Coupon = $.44 Out of Pocket
Bean Sprouts - 0.070kg @ $3.29/kg = $0.23 - $0.25 SnapSaves Coupon = ($0.02) In my Pocket!
Carrots - 0.310kg @ $1.50/kg = $0.46 - $0.50 Zweet Coupon = ($0.04) In my Pocket!
Yams - 0.325kg @ $2.84/kg = $0.92 - $0.25 SnapSaves Coupon = $0.67 Out of Pocket
Organic Bananas - 0.450kg @ $2.40/kg = $1.08 - $0.50 Zweet Coupon = $0.58 Out of Pocket

Total:  $3.38
Savings:  $1.75
Final Cost:  $1.63
48% Savings

I was happy saving 50% on my fruits and vegetables as I seldom see savings on these items.  Had I bought non-organic bananas, my total would have probably been even less!
Happy Shopping!
What can you buy for $1.63?

No comments:

Post a Comment